What Millennial Buyers Look For
Millennials have entered the housing market and have ideas about what they want in their new home. Home design trends are becoming more innovative and reflective of the way we live today.
These young home buyers want bright homes which are informal and inviting places where friends and families can gather and relax together.
Who Are These Millennial Home Buyers
Millennials are the first generation that grew up on technology. Most never knew a home without a computer, video game console or cell phone. They want their spaces to be intuitive and innovative. They buy “smart” products!
Self-adjusting blinds, lights, appliances and other home features appeal to their sense of a technologically advanced home. Homes are being built with these buyers in mind.
Top 5 Home Design Features Millennials Look For:
1. Urban designs, such as a large loft style home with great flow.
2. DIY Fixer-uppers: Millennials enjoy getting dirty and redesigning their home to suit their tastes.
3. Light and bright with tall ceilings and lots of natural light.
4. Smart Home devices and features.
5. Sustainable materials such as reclaimed wood and energy efficiency.
As they continue to make up a greater portion of first time home buyers, builders will be creating more and more homes which reflect their unique perspective. Watch for more innovation, sustainability, and functionality in new home designs over the next decade.